Juliette Aiyana, L.Ac.
Steam inhalation therapy with essential oils is a simple and effective home remedy for headaches, sinus congestion, sinus pain and infections, respiratory ailments due to allergies, asthma, the common cold, influenza and bronchitis. Depending on the essential oils you use, steam inhalation can also calm the mind, nervous system and spirit.
What You Need:
- Filtered water
- Tea kettle or pot
- Glass or Ceramic bowl- medium to large
- Essential oils (see chart below to help you chose)
- A bath towel
You will notice the scent fades in about 3-5 minutes. You can perform this treatment over again if you like.
- Boil filtered or spring water in a tea kettle until it steams.
- Turn off the heat and remove the kettle using a potholder.
- Take care to slowly pour the steaming water into a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add a few drops of essential oil to the water.
- Place the towel over the top of your head so that it drapes over the sides of your head.
- Close your eyes, lean over the bowl allowing the sides of the towel to create a tent over the sides of the bowl.
- Inhale and exhale through your nose.
As mucus loosens from steaming, clear your sinuses by gently blowing your nose into the tissues and discard them. As the water begins to cool down from hot to warm, place your washcloth in the water, ring it out and place it on your chest or the back of your neck. The warm compress will help release chest tightness and congestion, relaxes and loosens your neck muscles. Ahhhhhh.
How To Choose The Oils
For upper respiratory and sinus congestion try one of each or combine the following:
For Headaches unrelated to sinus problems:
- Peppermint 3-5 drops
- Eucalyptus 3-5 drops
- Camphor 3 drops
Headache which are sharp or throbbing and may be combined with neck and shoulder tension try:
For stress headaches try:
- Cinnamon 5 drops & Myrrh 3 drops & Frankincense 3 drops
Relax the mind & calm the spirit with:
- Chamomile & Lavender, 5 drops of each
- Lavender & Chamomile 5 drops of each - or -
- Chamomile & Lemongrass 5 drops of each
- Curing Hay Fever Naturally - Bob Flaws
- The Tao of Health Eating - Bob Flaws
- Chinese Self Massage - Fan Ya Li
"A few years ago I pulled a leg muscle while running and the injury didn't heal on its own despite more than six months of rest. After just a few acupuncture treatments from Juliette the leg was as good as new and I was up and running again. Juliette was extremely knowledgeable in explaining to me what caused the injury and what I could do to minimize the chance of a recurrence. I would definitely use her again."