Juliette Aiyana, L.Ac.
Steam inhalation therapy with essential oils is a simple and effective home remedy for headaches, sinus congestion, sinus pain and infections, respiratory ailments due to allergies, asthma, the common cold, influenza and bronchitis. Depending on the essential oils you use, steam inhalation can also calm the mind, nervous system and spirit.
What You Need:
- Filtered water
- Tea kettle or pot
- Glass or Ceramic bowl- medium to large
- Essential oils (see chart below to help you chose)
- A bath towel
You will notice the scent fades in about 3-5 minutes. You can perform this treatment over again if you like.
- Boil filtered or spring water in a tea kettle until it steams.
- Turn off the heat and remove the kettle using a potholder.
- Take care to slowly pour the steaming water into a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add a few drops of essential oil to the water.
- Place the towel over the top of your head so that it drapes over the sides of your head.
- Close your eyes, lean over the bowl allowing the sides of the towel to create a tent over the sides of the bowl.
- Inhale and exhale through your nose.
As mucus loosens from steaming, clear your sinuses by gently blowing your nose into the tissues and discard them. As the water begins to cool down from hot to warm, place your washcloth in the water, ring it out and place it on your chest or the back of your neck. The warm compress will help release chest tightness and congestion, relaxes and loosens your neck muscles. Ahhhhhh.
How To Choose The Oils
For upper respiratory and sinus congestion try one of each or combine the following:
For Headaches unrelated to sinus problems:
- Peppermint 3-5 drops
- Eucalyptus 3-5 drops
- Camphor 3 drops
Headache which are sharp or throbbing and may be combined with neck and shoulder tension try:
For stress headaches try:
- Cinnamon 5 drops & Myrrh 3 drops & Frankincense 3 drops
Relax the mind & calm the spirit with:
- Chamomile & Lavender, 5 drops of each
- Lavender & Chamomile 5 drops of each - or -
- Chamomile & Lemongrass 5 drops of each
- Curing Hay Fever Naturally - Bob Flaws
- The Tao of Health Eating - Bob Flaws
- Chinese Self Massage - Fan Ya Li
"I originally started seeing Juliette Aiyana for TMJ. I clenched my jaw so badly at night that I would have terrible back and neck pain, as well as inner ear pain. I didn't want to just wear a night-guard, as many dentists will suggest. That to me was like putting a bandaid on a problem, rather than actually fixing the problem. There are so many things I can say about Juliette Aiyana, L.Ac.. She listens, she is thorough, she is knowledgeable, she is caring, she is enthusiastic, and she has a great laugh. And most of all, she cured me. It seems that the problem wasn't really my jaw, but a spleen qi and liver qi imbalance. Who else can tell you that but an acupuncturist?
After my jaw was better, I continued to see Juliette for overall health. I told her my husband and I wanted to start a family. Let me tell you, I was pregnant in no time at all. I don't know how much needles had to do with it, but if that's something you want and you've been having a hard time, I can't think of why you wouldn't give acupuncture a try.
It's always a pleasure to go to Juliette's office. It is calming and quiet. And when you leave, you feel healthy, happy and at peace."