by Honora Lee-Wolf, AP
Reprinted with permission by the author.
- Eat as many fresh, lightly cooked vegetables as you wish. Go easy on spicy, sweet or greasy foods.
- Avoid overeating. This stagnates the stomach qi---the stomach channel irrigates the breast tissue. Stagnant qi in any form is bad for the breast.
- Try to avoid becoming overweight. There is a known relationship between body fat, fat consumption and breast cancer.
- Stay relaxed. Learn to know the difference between what you can control in your life and in the lives of those around you. Try to let go of what you cannot change and work at changing what you can.
- If you cannot relax, use relaxation tapes or meditation techniques. Stress, when not released or diffused by some method, is an enemy of breast health.
- Avoid caffeine in as many forms as you can. Stop eating chocolate except as a rare treat. Switch from coffee to black tea (or better yet, green tea).
- If you can, get some form of exercise every day, or at least every other day. It burns fat cells, reduce stress, increase energy and improves self-image.
- Eat meat sparingly. Use it in broths, soups and stews and not necessarily everyday. Don't just eat chicken and fish; a variety of meats is better over the long term.
- Grains (well cooked or in the form of noodles) should be the foundation of any diet. Try eating something else instead of bread. Try eating bread products only once per day.
- When you use oil, use olive oil. Studies show it to be a better option for breast health than other oils or fats.
- Do something for someone. Volunteer; participate in a community activity; grocery shop for a sick friend etc. whatever your interests and skills, they are probably of use to someone else in your community. Putting meaning into your life in these ways is one of the best things you can do for yourself to maintain overall health.
- Learn a new vegetable recipe once every week or two. Try them on friends and family.
- Sugar is a no-no most of the time for optimal health. On the other hand, moderation in all things is important for health. Never eating dessert probably reflects a very rigid personality.
- Breast massage and any forms of self-massage is helpful in keeping qi and blood circulating. Learn a simple self-massage routine from a book or make one up yourself.
- Don't beat yourself up if you do get an illness or disease. Everyone's body will develop disease at some points of life. Focus on the positive. Don't expend too much energy frustrated with the illness. Instead focus your energy on health and wellness. Do as much as you can on your own to stay healthy for as you can in life. Remember: in the end, no one gets out of here alive. Be grateful for the blessings you have.
"Over the past two years, Juliette Aiyana, L.Ac. provided me with periodic treatments (Acupuncture and sometimes herbs) which were painless and provided relief from PMS, stress, shoulder pain and sinus pressure. Juliette is well informed and up front and personable so you find out almost immediately if you can obtain the desired results, which is usually the case. Anyone interested in trying the alternative to western medicine should try working with Juliette. You will love her!"