by Karen Zuckerman, LMT
Through the ages, infant massage has been practiced in cultures throughout the world. It is a wonderful, loving way you can nurture your baby from birth and continue to use as they grow into childhood. Massage deepens the bond between parent (or caregiver) and child, it has immediate and lasting results, and gives fathers an opportunity to provide nurturing touch .
Benefits for Baby
Benefits for Parents
- Emotionally nourishes the baby and helps them feel safe and loved.
- Helps strengthen and regulate the baby's primary organ systems; respiratory, circulatory, nervous, musculature, and gastrointestinal.
- Reduces gas, colic and other digestive issues.
- Releases endorphins for pain management.
- Calms, relaxes, soothes and helps them sleep.
- Increases growth and strengthens immune system.
- Improves circulation of blood and lymph.
- Improves body awareness.
There have been many studies conducted on the effects of massage on newborns, particularly pre-term infants. A leader in the field of infant massage research is, The Touch Research Institute, in Florida states that in addition to the benefits listed above, mothers who have loving physical contact with their baby; watch less TV, talk on the phone less and develop a greater sense of communication with their child.
- Deepens the bond between parent and child by enhancing communication and emotional ties.
- Gives parents a better understanding about their baby's cues of responsiveness.
- Gives new parents confidence in holding the baby and providing healing, loving touch.
- Provides a means to develop quality interaction time.
- Helps parents relax and listen to their baby.
You Can Learn Infant Massage!
Classes and private sessions are available throughout the United States, and through my office in New York City. Lessons are for mothers, fathers, caregivers, and babies newborn to 1 year. You and your baby will have fun, receive a plethora of information, and take home a complimentary bottle of massage oil. Sessions are about 75 min each. Group classes (min 3 families) are 4 sessions. Private instruction can be shortened to 3 sessions.
Please contact Karen Zuckerman for more information.
Karen is a Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI) with the International Loving Touch Foundation.
"Juliette has made a significant improvement in my life. I've had agitation in my chest for quite some time but a consistent regimen of acupuncture and herbs eradicated my feeling of discomfort. I feel like a new man! Thanks Juliette!"