IVF and Acupuncture:
On October 20, 2004, a study presented at the American Society for Reproductive Medicine confirmed that Acupuncture used before and after embryo transfer results in higher pregnancy rates. Half of the women in the study received acupuncture and the other half did not.
The results showed:
The above mentioned study confirms the results of a German study, published in April of 2002 in Highlights in Fertility and Sterility (Vol. 77, No. 4, April 2002), which indicates that using acupuncture with IVF treatment significantly increases the chance of successful pregnancy.
- The Acupuncture group had a 51% pregnancy rate compared to only 36% in the control group.
- The Acupuncture group had only an 8% miscarriage rate compared to 20% in the control group.
The results of this study showed:
Physician-scientists at New York Cornell-Wiell medical center report that acupuncture treatments have the following potential fertility-boosting benefits:
- 34 out of 80 women in the Acupuncture group became pregnant.
- Only 21 out of 80 women in the control group became pregnant.
Check out this CBS News Report
- Increased blood flow to the uterus and therefore uterine wall thickness, an important marker for fertility
- Increased endorphin production, which, in turn, has been shown to effect the release of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), a decapeptide involved in regulating reproduction
- Lower stress hormones responsible for infertility
- Impact on plasma levels of the fertility hormones: follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), estradiol (E2), and Progesterone (P)
- Normalization of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, a key process in fertility
- A positive effect for women with polycystic ovarian syndrome, a hormonal imbalance present in three percent of adolescents and adults.
Aiyana Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs
41 Union Square West, Suite 519
New York, NY 10003
A letter from one of our patients to her OBGYN:
"I am writing to let you know that I have been receiving TCM treatment (acupuncture and Chinese herbs) for the abnormal uterine bleeding for which you examined me back in May. As you know from our last conversation, as soon as I stopped the progesterone, the bleeding resumed. I quickly did some research to find a TCM doctor, as I was extremely uncomfortable with the recommended treatment to go on the [birth control] pill.
I began treatment with Juliette Aiyana, L.Ac. of the Aiyana Center for Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs. Her herbal and acupuncture treatments stopped the abnormal bleeding as well as restored my period to a five day, light, clot free flow. I am thrilled with the healing process I am experiencing.
If you have other patients like me who prefer holistic, natural medicine or treatment, she is happy to receive referrals from your office. Juliette is a compassionate, enthusiastic practitioner of TCM. She also commits a considerate amount of time at every office visit educating her patients about their condition and treatment."